TalladegaTR (shortened cautions)

Thursdays @ 8pm EST with the Aero88.

Moderators: Wylye, JoshM

KickinAsphalt
RTG Staff Member
Car#: 99

TalladegaTR (shortened cautions)

Post by KickinAsphalt »

JoshM wrote: July 18th, 2013, 10:26 pm Jason Justis from Blazin Pedals was nice enough to make another version of the TalladegaTR track that has shorter yellows.

We will probably find a night in the near future to run a non-points race to try it out and see if people would like to use this on Thursdays.
KickinAsphalt
RTG Staff Member

Re: TalladegaTR (shortened cautions)

Post by KickinAsphalt »

jasonjustis wrote: July 20th, 2013, 9:09 am Pick a night and time that you guys would like to try this and I'll see if I can make it out with you. I can also guide you through any changes you may want to make if something needs to be tweaked.
KickinAsphalt
RTG Staff Member

Post by KickinAsphalt »

timoshark1 wrote: July 20th, 2013, 12:13 pm Thanks for the help Jason. I almost wonder if we couldn't do a short practice race maybe an hour before the regular race on Thursday. I'll get with Scheck and Josh and we'll figure it out.
KickinAsphalt
RTG Staff Member

Post by KickinAsphalt »

JoshM wrote: July 21st, 2013, 1:50 pm Jason- I just tried to run the track offline but got an error message saying it could not load the track. Just an FYI.
KickinAsphalt
RTG Staff Member

Post by KickinAsphalt »

jasonjustis wrote: July 23rd, 2013, 4:30 am Looking into it.
KickinAsphalt
RTG Staff Member

Post by KickinAsphalt »

jasonjustis wrote: July 25th, 2013, 5:10 pm Here's the latest version of TalladegaTR_QY. QY stands for "Quick Yellows", and here's how it will work.

When the caution comes out, the field will get picked up by the pace car like normal, and pits will be open to everyone (lead lappers and lapped cars) on the first time by. As the drivers who pit exit pit road and catch back up to the end of the field, the lights will go out on the pace car in the middle of turn 3 right after the Sunoco sign, and your spotter will notify you that we will be going green the next time we approach the finish line. If you're worried about not being able to catch back up to the end of the field before we go green and therefore lose the draft, then the good thing about Tally Challenge Thurdsays is we take a fake green and then line everyone up double file at pace speed, so we are cutting out up to two full caution laps to get going green quicker. With the regular TalladegaTR track, we can spend upwards of 10 minutes under each caution, and with this version, we can trim that down to around 5-6 minutes instead.

Some things you'll notice that are a little bit different:
[*] Since lapped drivers can pit with the lead lappers on the same lap coming to pit road, you're going to have lapped drivers mixed and mingled in with the leaders as we take the fake green. Since everyone will have crossed the finish line to finalize their restart order at this point, the admins will still be able to have the lapped drivers drop to the apron and allow the leaders to line up double file and then have the lapped drivers do the same at the tail end of the field.
[*] I can't quite explain it, but when the lights atop the pace car go out in the middle of turn 3, sometimes the pace car ducks off onto pit road coming out of turn 4, and sometimes it doesn't and goes around another whole lap before peeling off onto pit road. That may seem weird, but as mentioned before, when we do double file restarts technically under green flag conditions, we may have a pace car leading us around on some occasions, and we may not. I haven't figured out why the pace car stays out an extra lap on some restarts and doesn't on others.
[*] Finally, you'll notice that since the game has classified the track as a road course inside the track.ini file for the sake of having shorter cautions, this also means that your spotter now spots for you using road course terms instead of oval terms. We are used to hearing our spotter say, "Inside", "Outside", "You're up top, three wide!", "You're in the middle, three wide", "Stay High", and things of that nature. That will now be replaced with "Car on the left", "Right Side", "Stay left", "Car Right". Because of this, you will never hear your spotter notify you that you are three wide in any kind of situation. It is going to take good race awareness and good communication in TS to let others around you know what is happening.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ti5bi ... aTR_QY.zip

I hope you guys enjoy this version, and I'm hoping to test it out with you guys to see if it's worth running on Thursdays. If not, I won't be offended; I'm just offering my help to try and produce a better racing experience.
KickinAsphalt
RTG Staff Member

Post by KickinAsphalt »

JoshM wrote: July 25th, 2013, 5:48 pm Thanks VERY much Jason. I deleted the original QY track that was not working properly and re-uploaded this version to our server. I will get online shortly and see if we can get a few guys to hop in and try it out before TallyChallenge practice begins later this evening.

I did notice the difference in the spotter and that is probably my biggest concern. We have alot of guys who run in-car view and with this soundpack, they won't have their spotter letting them know when they are 3-wide. The other concern is sometimes the spotter will say "Car Left" and other times it will tell you to "Stay Left." I can foresee that being an issue, but again, that is what testing is for. I'll be online as soon as I can and see if we can give it a quick run tonight.

Whether we do or don't run it, we greatly appreciate you putting this together for us. I'd like to know how you got this to work as the same could be done for the newly-banked Phoenix track.

Return to “Tally Challenge”