Important - Kaspersky Anti-Virus Targeting NR2003.exe

Need help with anything...post here.
JeremyJeffries
RTG Staff Member
Car#: 1

Important - Kaspersky Anti-Virus Targeting NR2003.exe

Post by JeremyJeffries »

Optimus Prime wrote: September 3rd, 2015, 11:57 pm Important---- Apparently a recent virus definition update to Kaspersky Anti-Virus is causing it to identify your main NR2003.exe file as malicious, and if you select disinfect or have automatic action turned on, it will delete it! This has happened in the last 24 hours to myself and at least one other very reliable NR2003 user. If your .exe file gets removed by Kaspersky, you cannot recover it and it renders your game useless. System restore does not bring it back. This does not seem to matter if you are running from your original CD or from the No-CD patch. In my case, I was NOT running the game when the alert came up. Apparently my system was doing a routine background rootkit scan.

Here is how to handle this and how to help prevent this and other things like it from being a larger issue;

What to do to prevent a problem if you get the alert for Kaspersky;
1. If you get the malicious file alert, DO NOT click "disinfect and restart".
2. Check to see that it indeed is your NR2003.exe file listed in the alert and if it is, choose the option that says "allow and add to exclusions".

What ALL NR2003 users are always urged to do, to help in this and many other situations;
1. Make a copy of your entire Papyrus or NR2003 folder on a separate external hard drive or flash drive.
2. If you have this problem and your .exe file was deleted, then you can just copy the NR2003.exe file from your backup copy back into your actual game folder. This way you will not have to deal with doing a re-install and having to set up all your graphics, sounds, etc.. I was able to just copy it in and shortly after, Kaspersky alerted on it again and I chose the allow and add to exclusions option and all was fine.

If anyone else has any further information on this or similar situations, please share so that others can benefit. This one appears totally related to Kaspersky and does NOT have anything to do with an actual infected file as the alert also came even on a fresh re-install of NR2003 from a CD before any additional files were added.

Return to “Technical Help”